402.494.3188

800.577.3188
24/7/365 Emergency Services

ServiceMaster of Sooland

ServiceMaster of Sooland | News

3 Tips for Preventing Fall Fire Damage in Onawa, IA

November 1st, 2018 · No Comments

Cooler weather means candles, space heaters, and curling up under warm blankets. However, cooler weather also opens Onawa, IA, homes to more opportunities for fire damage. While it’s something no homeowner likes to think about, housefires aren’t uncommon, but by taking some preventative measures, you can keep your home fire damage free this fall. The fire damage restoration professionals at ServiceMaster by Sooland are here to help with our top fire prevention tips!

 

  1. Keep flammable materials away from candles and other warmers. Once you’ve set up your fall décor and are ready to light candles to make your home nice and cozy make sure you do it safely. Your candles should be clear of anything flammable. Make sure there are no papers or anything else that can catch fire close to the candles when they are lite. It only takes a second for a curtain to catch fire and quickly spread through your home. Don’t put your home in jeopardy; make sure you burn your candles and use you wax warmers safely.
  2. Make sure your electric blankets are in good condition. If your favorite thing is to curl up under an electric blanket with a hot mug you wouldn’t be alone. Before you curl up under that blanket though, make sure the blanket is in good condition. Check for fraying wires or holes that could cause a fire or even burns when you’re using it. It’s best to make sure the blanket you’re using isn’t more than 5-10 years old as the newer blankets have automatic shut off to ensure that the blanket doesn’t over heat and cause burns or fires.
  3. Use space heaters safely. Space heaters are one of the most common causes of house fires. When using them, make sure you never leave your space heater unattended and keep it away from flammable materials.

 

While prevention is the best medicine, fires can still occur. If your Onawa, IA home has suffered fire damage, call ServiceMaster of Sooland a call as soon as possible. The faster you call the professionals the faster the damage can be restored. Leaving smoke, soot, and flame damage untreated allows for secondary damage to occur which can become permanent. Our technicians have the tools and training needed to make sure that the fire damage in your home is treated quickly and effectively.

 

Fire damage restoration is stressful and dangerous. Don’t try to do it yourself; contact the professionals at ServiceMaster of Sooland for immediate assistance at (402) 494-3188.

 

Tags: Fire & Smoke Damage · Fire Restoration ·


 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *