Contact 402-494-3188

The beginning of the new year brings the cold winds of winter and the longing for spring. You and your family have been stuck in your Sioux City, IA home for what seems like forever under piles of blankets. Your son’s room in the basement has been unbelievably cold, so you got him a portable heater to make things more comfortable. Unfortunately, something happened with the portable heater, and now you’re watching the fire department sort through the mess as smoke billows from your house. What could you have done to prevent fire damage to your Sioux City, IA home?


  • Always make sure the area is safe. When using a portable heater, you need to make sure the space around the heater is clean and safe. Anything that’s flammable, such as blankets and clothing, should be kept well away from the heater to avoid the possibility of a fire. If using an older heater, you want to make sure you check it for loose or frayed wires that could potentially start an electrical fire. If you’re leaving the house or room for an extended period of time, make sure the heater is turned off. If a heater is left on, things such as clothing could fall on top of it and cause a fire while you’re away.
  • Make sure everyone in your family is aware of fire safety. When using candles or a fireplace, it’s important that everyone in your Sioux City, IA home is aware of fire safety. Make sure the area around the fireplace and every candle is clear of all flammable materials such as cloth or paper. You also want to make sure the fire is completely out when you’re done with the fireplace and candles are extinguished when you leave the house or go to bed.
  • If you face fire damage, call the experts. If you find that despite all your preparation and wariness you’re facing fire damage, you need to call the experts. Once the fire has been extinguished and all that’s left is cleanup, call ServiceMaster of Sooland to help you with your fire damage restoration in Sioux City, IA. Our technicians can help you with odor cleaning to make sure your home doesn’t smell any different than before the fire.


Smoke damage cleanup, soot removal, and odor removal are all difficult tasks that the citizens of Sioux City, IA don’t have to face on their own. It’s important that the cleaning is done quickly and thoroughly to ensure no further damage occurs to your home or belongings. For help with your fire damage cleanup needs in Sioux City, IA, give ServiceMaster of Sooland a call immediately at (402) 494-3188.